Monday, July 25, 2011

Short Film #3

     My film still doesn't have an name. Unlike art or music, movies have to have names. I'd be fine with Woody Allen films being called "Untitled #7" or "Feature #15", but I guess the suits wouldn't stand for it. I will tease a name out of this damn film soon. I had less trouble naming my son.

     Since I don't have a great name that clues you in on what my film is about, I'll share a bit, in 25 words or less. That's how they do it in Hollywood. Well, if this was Hollywood I'd start with, “It's a cross between...” But this isn't Hollywood, and thank God for that. Still, I'll give it to you in 25 words or less.

My film is about a single mom who must write a short story in five days. She gets distracted by sex, yoga, and fun things.

Twenty-five words exactly. Nice. What that doesn't tell you is what's actually at the heart of the film, the themes. These are procrastination and inspiration. In the film, we look inside “May's” mind, that's the lead character by the way. There are scenes where she is daydreaming or working out things in her short story. These are going to be a big challenge for me as a filmmaker. I will be using the Adobe After Effects program to build these interior scenes. I'm making video puppets. I am still deciding if I'll make actual puppets and shoot them or build them digitally. When I was originally hatching this project, I was working closely with my long time art cohort Christina Forbes. She was going to build the puppets with me and the sets for them. She passed away this Spring, so I'm sadly having to do some serious rethinking. Luckily, I have someone who is going to be helping me with visual effects, Lyle Arnett. He's pretty kick ass at this stuff, so he has agreed to help me make it look good. My mind's eye is bigger than my technical stomach or something like that, so he's going to be key in making these scenes work. Though I'm very sad to not be able to finish this project with Christina, I'm really looking forward to working with Lyle and seeing what I can come up with now.

So back to the themes of the script. If you know my past work in theater and print, or if you know me at all, you know I tend to gravitate toward sex and procrastination. In that regard, I'm still doing what I've always done, but I've changed mediums. I'm extremely excited about telling this story using film. I feel like film lends itself to the kinds of stories I want to tell. I don't want to be limited to a stage. In film, you get to master time and space without all the tedious typing of a novel. I love it.

On a nuts and bolts note: I've got producers lined up. And my main characters have been cast. I am now working on becoming a SAG (Screen Actor's Guild) Student Signatory. If I manage to do that I can cast members of the union but don't have to pay them union wages. There are a few “stars” in town that I'm going to hit up to make cameos in the film. Why not? More on all that as it develops.


2 comments:

  1. Omg, Christy... This is so exciting... Sex and Procrastination... I like it! I had no idea you were going to so many lengths to make your film with visual effects and puppets! Wow.... Im so sorry about Christina... Good luck and if you ever need ANYTHING let me know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that I'm not the only one with a title for my film. I named it only because I knew that "untitled thesis project" wouldn't fly with my committee. Everyone is like "I love the title John Wayne's Bed." Well, I don't. So, it's going to change. No idea what to though.

    Glad you have your cast together. I haven't even started casting mine. So much work.

    ReplyDelete