Thursday, July 21, 2011

I Can't Believe I'm Doing This

     I'm doing what I said I would never do, I'm writing a blog. Before you start up with the hilarious comments, I would like to tell you why I'm doing this, because I have a purpose other than wanting you to be wowed by my insightful writing.

     Yes, I have a purpose. Finally.

     I am now entering my third and final year of the University of Central Arkansas' MFA Digital Filmmaking program. This year I will produce and direct my thesis film. It's a film I wrote last year, though it's been in my head in some form or other since I applied to the program. I've decided a blog of my experiences making this film might be entertaining, and give, particularly non-filmmakers a view into what it takes to make a short film. So I'm actually starting my blog during, what I like to call, pre-preproduction.

     I have my script. I have my lead actress and a couple of other roles cast. I have a preliminary budget but no money. I can see what I want it to be, but that's about it at this point. I have no crew. I have no locations. I have no set shooting dates. At this point, on a good day, I think of my film as the Taoist un-carved block.  On a bad day, I think of it as screwed. In other words, it's very exciting times.

     In this blog I will write about every aspect of making this film. I'll write about finding a crew, about raising funds, casting actors, shooting, editing, defending it before my committee and entering the film into various film festivals next spring. At this point you may be wondering what the name of my film is, well, me too. I'll let you know here first.

     In my next post I'll tell you a little about the film itself, and what I as a filmmaker am hoping to accomplish. Until then, please don't think poorly of me and the fact that I've started a blog. I promise not to talk about raising kids or politics.

5 comments:

  1. Definitely want to keep up with how the film goes, lady! The olde blog is a Useful and Cool tool so I say why not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I'm looking forward to watching your film develop and experiencing it with you all the way. You go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation! I will be a regular here. I was going to write on your spot but that sounded wrong ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it! Very excited for you! xo!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! Glad you'll be keeping up. I think...

    ReplyDelete